Turmeric is about to be one of the hottest new buzzwords you’re going to be hearing everywhere.
And if you’re typically a victim of the usual fall and winter sniffles, this is a spice that could drastically change your side effects this season.
You can add turmeric to smoothies, shakes, and a variety of foods for its flavor but it is so much more than a simple spice. It’s health benefits are so significant, so vast, that this spice can’t be ignored anymore.
Thinking it’s too good to be true? It’s not. Trust.
Here’s a couple of fast facts to catch you up:
1. Turmeric is the spice that gives curry its yellow color.
2. Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric that contains the powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that make turmeric a super spice.
3. Curcumin is so effective at fighting inflammation at the molecular level that its effectiveness matches that of some anti-inflammatory drugs.
4. BDNF, which stands for Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor, is a growth hormone that functions in the brain; decreased levels of this have been linked to depression and Alzheimer’s. BUT! Curcumin can increase brain levels of BDNF, which helps improve memory and help fight off degenerative brain disorders. And yes, it helps with depression!
5. Because curcumin is such a powerful antioxidant, it’s been seen to help prevent heart disease by improving the function of the endothelium, or the lining of the blood vessels.
6. It’s been shown to help prevent and treat cancer, Alzheimer’s, and even arthritis because of its ability to affect our bodies at the molecular level.
Now obviously the professional guidance of a certified, trustworthy medical practitioner is ideal. In no way are we trying to say turmeric is the cure for cancer.
We are, however, convinced that this super spice holds powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can’t be ignored!
So what do you think, are you a believer in the powerful properties of turmeric? Do you have any favorite recipes with it? Tell us below!